Well, back to his ways again this spring, ZRaul's 2nd attempt out saw success with this longbeard's assistance.
He was well fought for and once within 200yds really played the part any turkey hunter would dream to see. After a few moments of shooting some candid photos in action his patience wore thin and at 6yds what's one to do but lay the smack down and so we did.
This Mathew's DXT propelled the GrimReaper into the boiler room of this bird. After what he thought was an ideal shot this bird walked off slowly, in obvious strain. Due to the conditions and dewey morning no blood could be traced nor could we find a trail in the pine straw. We new he would look for heavy cover ASAP in the palmetto thickets. After a quick survey of the situation we hurried home to get zoi to use her nose to pin down the area of the quarry.
After covering what we thought was the area the bird would go we quickly looked at option #2 and quickly zoi picked up some scent, I put her in the sit position with a quick toot on the whistle as I discovered tailfeathers protruding from the edge of a palmetto thicket. We quickly dispatched this fading gobbler.
All in all he only ran 65-70yds from our setup, but I was sick to my stomach with doubts of my accuracy from past experiences with my archery turkey hunts.
This marks my 2nd FL gobbler in 2yrs. Kinda taking a liking to them now!!
This was my father-in-law Mark's 1st time turkey hunting with me and probably wont be the last as I need a good videographer soon! Last year Robbie(his son) joined me when I smoked an Osceola gobbler on the same property. Cheer to 2010 to the River Road Crew!

No comments:
Post a Comment